I don't have time to update the PDF rulebook right now, so I'm posting the new rules for countermeasures (page 7) here instead. The changes are as follows:
1. The number of times ships can launch countermeasures against guided weapons is now capped: littoral ships can launch countermeasures once; escorts twice; and battleships three times. Once a ship has reached its limit, any further hits by guided weapons cannot be stopped by countermeasures.
2. The number of dice rolled when countermeasures are launched is decreased by one every time. To summarise:
- for a littoral ship, roll 3D6 the first (and only) time.
- for an escort, roll 3D6 the first time and 2D6 the second time.
- for a battleship, roll 3D6 the first time, 2D6 the second time, and 1D6 the third time.
3. The aim of the changes is to reduce the power of the larger ships by allowing players to overwhelm them with a barrage of guided weapons. We find the game also plays slightly faster this way. Please let me know if you have any comments or questions.